As a parent, you know how difficult it can be for your child with suspected or confirmed Autism Spectrum Disorder to interact meaningfully with others and connect with the world around him.
At Small Talk Speech and Language therapy we use The More Than Words Programme from Hanen. This was designed specifically for parents of pre-school children on the autism spectrum. Addressing the unique needs of these children, the programme provides parents with the tools, strategies and support they need to help their children reach their full communication potential.
More Than Words does this by empowering parents to help your child reach the following three goals:
- Improved social skills
- The ability to engage in back-and-forth interactions
- Improved understanding of language
Here are some of the valuable things you’ll learn when we help you carry out the More Than Words Programme:
- How your child learns best and what motivates him to communicate
- Why your child behaves in certain ways, and what you can do to either increase or reduce those behaviours
- How to use your knowledge about your child to set realistic goals
- How to make interactions with your child last longer and be more meaningful
- Tips for using pictures and print to help your child’s understanding
- Tips on how to talk so that your child understands you
- Strategies for developing your child’s play skills
- Ways to help your child make friends
Practical strategies you can use in everyday situations
The More Than Words Programme focuses on your natural, day-to-day life with your child. You’ll discover how to take everyday activities like meal time, story time and bath time and use them to help your child improve his communication and social skills. And you’ll have fun together while you’re doing it!
The More Than Words approach is easy to understand and easy to put into practice. With every strategy you learn, you’ll be given ample opportunity to practice and discuss it so that you won’t forget it.
We have spaces from the middle of February. Register your interest: by contacting us firstname.lastname@example.org