It shows a complete lack of understanding to promote their 'business' with such a picture. Parents will see and think it's OK. Let me spell it out IT'S NOT!!!!
For the benefit if the misguided twit who put on the photograph, (that's the politest term I can think of):
- Babies need the stimulation of human beings to develop language and communication.
- These skills develop right from birth – attachment is vitally important for this area and early interaction skills are the foundation for future development (Routledge et al)
- These skills only develop through interacting with other people – one person responding to another.
- The attachment to the significant carer that occurs around birth is the basis for communication development.
- The amount and type of language used at home have an effect on children’s overall language development (Hart and Risley).
- Good early communication sets the pattern for later childhood and adolescence.