You have all heard of a 'bucket list' but Parent Dish brought to my attention the 'potty list'. This is a must do list for 3 year olds.
The 36 must-do activities that make up "The Potty List" are:
1. Made a mud pie
2. Baked a cake
3. Finger painted
4. Sung loudly in public
5. Climbed a big hill
6. Picked fruit
7. Danced with no inhibitions
8. Made sandcastles on the beach
9. Been chased by a monster
10. Jumped in a puddle so hard the water went in mummy's shoe too
12. Fed the ducks
13. Blown bubbles
14. Had a teddy bears' picnic
15. Chosen a favourite book
16. Ridden on the top of double-decker bus
17. Visited a museum
18. Been on a train ride
19. Fed an animal
20. Grown cress in the shape of your name
21. Worn pants on your head
22. Ridden the tea-cups at the fair
23. Flown a paper aeroplane
24. Pooed in the bath
25. Stayed the night away from home
26. Ridden on daddy's shoulders
27. Scribbled somewhere you shouldn't
28. Cleaned your own teeth
29. Answered the phone
30. Mastered a party piece
31. Had a "first love"
32. Bought something in a shop
33. Set your sights on a future career (pirate, fairy or builder, perhaps?)
34. Told a fib
35. Made up an inappropriate nickname for someone
36. Broken something valuable
Having said it's for 3 year olds, I do have at least one friend who is still revisiting this list. Not mentioning any names Helen! It's fun and lovely for your 3 year old or your 43 year old. However, it makes me really sad because there are so many children who won't ever do such fun activities.
Do I mean the toddlers from war torn Iraq or youngsters from the Yeman? No! I am referring to children from our own families here in the UK. Children of parents who are just so stressed, busy , hassled or perhaps don't know about creating fun experiences for their little ones.
May be the Health Visitor's little red book ought to include the list so parents can consciously work though it?!! What are your thoughts?
Check out Parentdish as it has some really useful articles www.parentdish.co.uk